Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Today the program was low-heart rate running, better known as Humiliation Central. My mile splits, running about 90 minutes, were 14:04, 14:05, 14:24, 14:50, 15:49 and 15:21, total of 6 miles. Heart rate under 132 the whole run. (Yep, Nathan, I was wearing a bro.) Temperature was 81 F, heat index 90. The purpose of these runs is to build the body's aerobic threshold. After doing it for several months this spring and crashing in the Ogden Marathon I am skeptical. Certainly I am not going to train exclusively this way until I see some better science.

These times are indicative, though. It shows why I have a hard time running fast. It is true I am old, but I should be faster. Eric says be patient.

The other thing is that these times show the effect of the heat. They are 1:30 to 2:00 faster in cool weather, or at least they were the last time I ran in cool weather.

Knee was a little bit painful again. I will take the rest of the week off and try again for 20 on Saturday.

1 comment: