Monday, July 27, 2009

My last couple of runs

On Saturday, I went to Prescott to visit Wallace Ashcroft and took my 4 boys as Wallace has 4 of his own that are right around the same age. They are all real good buds. After a birthday party in the morning and a ward party in the afternoon, I finally got Wallace to show me a "good trail" that he thought I would like. We only had about 40 minutes, but I was desperate to get in my long run for the week. No one laugh, I'm very proud of my long runs. Every one I take is a new PR for me. This Saturday was 5 miles. An out and back. Wallace followed behind me on his bike and made fun of my "Bro". I was wearing my chest strap/heart monitor under a white t-shirt and Wallace said it looked like a black bra. So he called it a bro to atleast add a little masculinity to it. The trail was around Willow lake and I soon found out I was going to be in trouble after sucking in a small bug at about .75 miles into it. It was getting dark quick and Wallace kept making fun of me, so I figured the quicker I got it over with the better. I picked up my pace to about a 9:30 and tried to hang on. With about .25 miles to go, I inhaled a monster bug. It had to be close to the size of my pinky fingernail! I chocked, coughed, gagged and tried to puke as I continued my new PR run and was not about to stop. Nothing came out, but I did feel it crawling in my throat, lodged and slowly dying. It was not pretty. I did finish though but could not get the dang thing out. I had no spit or even water for that matter and had to live with it till we got back to the house. Even water couldn't get that sucker down. I finally figured out that some sticky bread might have a good shot and it worked! I considered my protein immediately after a run taken care of.

Today, I ran an easy 2 miles on the treadmill at the gym. Tomorrow I'll rest and then Wednesday I'll see if I can eek out 3-4 with a little bit of speed in there.

2 comments:

  1. That is about the funniest thing I ever heard about on a run. Way to hang in there, Nathan, you turned a girly run wearing a bra into something to be proud of. (To all you girls, out there, I'm sorry, but real men do not wear bras.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should wear a mouth guard when you run? You don't have to be such a good writer here, you know. This is just fer checkin in.

    ReplyDelete