Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Mr. Speedy

No running yesterday in Florida, last stages of recovery from Saturday's pretty tough experience. The program for today was a little bit of speed work. I ran 6 miles, including one warm-up mile, as fast as I thought I could get away with. I thought I could make 10 minutes per mile and that turned out to be not too hard. I can see the importance of running fast, just to get the feel. As I accelerated off my warm-up lap I thought there was no way I could go more than a mile. Then my legs got used to it and I kept going faster every lap, although I purposely pushed the last one. My splits were like this:

12:13 (throw it out), 9:51, 9:36, 9:36, 9:23, 8:59, total time 59:37, then jog it in for about a quarter.

I ate some breakfast and feel pretty good so far. Not sure what I will do tomorrow, but don't want to wear myself out this week. I'm supposed to be in taper mode, but it is still 3 weeks out so I don't have to back off too much yet. I just want to make sure there are no injuries, which have affected my preparation for each of my previous 2 marathons.

2 comments: