Monday, February 28, 2011

Running Gait Analysis

I rationalized my five mile run this morning since they would need to see any problems in my gait, more typical during the middle or end of a marathon. The run hurt, in all the same places as it did 8 weeks ago, but not nearly as much. Still depressing. Apparently I don't heal. BUT also very, very gratifying--I truly needed a run this morning. Five miles wasn't that easy after 8 weeks off, but it happened and I am still alive.

But I LOVED the gait analysis with the podiatrist. He is an avid runner and made the statement, "I see runners as runners first, patients second". This is so refreshing because so many practitioners I go to make some comment along the lines of, "Well, we are getting older, you know. You might want to consider a different sport" or, "this shouldn't affect normal day-to-day activities".  He found all sorts of stuff wrong with my gait, which to me is GREAT news since it means if I fixed even a few, I could go faster, further, with less energy, better looks, etc.

Apparently, in spite of my Amazing Arches, I am an overpronator, one leg is functionally longer than the other, I am wearing all the wrong shoes, I have bad posture, I need orthotics, my stride is too long, my legs are too good-looking, I have lost too much weight, and my million dollar check is in the mail. He also recommended lots of shoes, as in, specific brand names and models. This guy knows his shoes! I am pretty excited. I am going to get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment